Blackfriars' Marketing

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Google launches another killer product: maps

Google has launched another one of those "how did I ever live without that?" kind of services today, with maps.google.com . As usual, it is a beta test version, but the thing that makes me really like it is their decluttering algorithm; they seem to find just the right amount of detail to show. And many little touches, like shadows for the endpoints, one-line address entry, and animated scrolling of the map just make the service a joy to use. I've been a big fan of one of the more obscure mapping sites for years, Mapsonus, which was originally developed at Lucent/Bell Labs. But I am now a convert for ordinary directions. I will, however, have to return to mapsonus when I need latitude and longitude to feed by handheld GPS....

My big question through: where do they (or will they) put the ads?